Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to 1 in 1,296!

Welcome to 1 in 1,296!

If you roll 5 6-sided dice, there's a 1 in 1,296 chance that all the dice will come up the same number.  This is known as a one-roll Yahtzee.

 Notable YouTube personage Brady Haran has started something of a one-roll Yahtzee craze with this video.

 He documented his attempts at a one-roll Yahtzee, then called upon anyone else crazy enough to sit down and try it to send in video footage.  People all over the world have been doing just that.

Here's my effort, from the end of July, 2012.  It took me 1,116 rolls.



Here's Brady's Yahtzee playlist on YouTube, where you can check out lots of different folks trying for a one-roll Yahtzee.  (And if you want my advice, I recommend you subscribe to his Numberphile channel on YouTube.  It's awesome!)



Now I am fully consumed by one-roll Yahtzee fever, and I've taken to recreational dice rolling.  I carry 5 small dice in my purse, and a small notebook for the tally marks.  I'm planning on documenting my results here, hopefully with some interesting photos or anecdotes to go along with the statistics.

Hope you'll follow along, and maybe you'll get your own case of One-roll Yahtzee Fever!


No comments:

Post a Comment