Tuesday, August 28, 2012

One-roll Yahztee in Public Places

It began at Indian Summer in Monterey, CA.  It was Saturday night, August 25, 2012.

I accompanied my boyfriend to go listen to The Wharf Rats with Nancy Jones play some good classic rock.  The music was excellent, but that didn't change the fact that I felt, as I usually do, massively socially awkward.  Eye contact with performers in a small venue practically makes me break out into a sweat.  (See here for a video I made about that whole topic.)

I thought that this might be a good opportunity to indulge in some One-roll Yahtzee Fever inspired activities.  I took off my Greek Fisherperson's hat, and rolled the five dice that I just so happened to be carrying.





 The hat was necessary because there were big slats in the table, and the dice would have rolled right through.  Also, I didn't want to be knocking over everyone's beer in an effort to get the dice that would inevitably fall on the ground.

I had the chance to make 241 rolls that evening, and I have to say, it significantly reduced my feelings of social anxiety.  There was something reassuring about having a little something to do.  It was also an activity that allowed me to converse and be engaged with my surroundings at the same time.  No one-roll Yahtzee this time, but I plan to continue at my next opportunity.


In the interest of full disclosure, a couple of the 241 rolls were made down the street at London Bridge pub, while listening to Microtonic Harmonic.


And that brings me to another issue.  Can I continue my tally where I left off?  That's what I originally did in my video where I got a Yahtzee after 1,116 rolls.  After 1,105 rolls, I had somewhere to be, so I left, and picked it up the next day.  I just couldn't bear to start all over again.   Does it matter if you do it all in one sitting or not?  There's something more exciting and romantic (maybe that's a stretch) about doing all the rolling at once, but is it breaking the law if you don't?



No comments:

Post a Comment